Wednesday 19 October 2011

More ideas

I wasn't very happy with the idea I did previously. I tried changing the typeface to something more flowing but it just wasn't really working. I started experimenting with the idea of simplifying the type and just having the words turn down the page but left aligned. I quite liked the effect this created, it was more straight forward and less gimicky but at the same time it was also quite dull and the type didn't look particularly nice. Center aligning looked a bit floaty and unorganised.
I also experimented with adjusting the size of the type so that the words got smaller and smaller until "how little I know" was considerable smaller than most of the type. This was an attempt to illustrate how small the narrative voice of the poem feels compared to the rest of the world when she watches the river. However the flow of the text is broken when arranged this way and it doesn't seem to echo that sense of continual flowing water so it wasn't really a success. Also the large "When" and "I watch" are too bold and make the poem look like it's being shouted which isn't the feeling I want to express.
After much trial and error I decided to really go back to basics and set the poem how it was originally written. 4 lines of the one verse. I've opted for a much more minimalistic approach which I think actually works really well. The poem is set quite small in the center in order to reflect the feeling of isolation or insignificance found in the verse. This is emphasized through the use of white space around the text which in this case actually works in favour of the type.

With the type itself I chose to set it in Helvetica as this typeface is well known for being clean straight-forward and subtle. The only things I've done to the words is set the word "flow" in italic to imply the movement of the river and "little" in Helvetica light to suggest 'lack of' something (in this case knowledge). I chose to add these touches to add a dash of visual interest to the poem but keeping it very simple and straightforward.

I always got the feeling that this poem represents an after-thought that occurs in someone's mind as they look at the river. That's why I wanted to have this theme of subtlety and space in the design.

I don't know whether to add colour or not. This is something that could easily be set in various locations around the Thames like what I saw with Why Not Associates. It could be engraved or cut into a surface still retaining its style and message. I think if I'm going to continue this theme of minimalism then I don't really need colour as this maintains the subtle tone to the poem and allows the audience to make up their own mind about the poets feelings about the Thames.

No comments:

Post a Comment