Monday 10 October 2011

Experimenting with Size

Another way to create emphasis and meaning with type is to alter the size. For this idea I've been playing around with different compositions. I do really like the end result, although I don't think it's perfect. By changing the size of different words I've been able to exemplify the meaning to some of the words. For example 'strong' now appears to be supporting the words above it and also is bolder thus reflecting the meaning of strength. In contrast, by setting the word 'sedate' in a smaller point size it creates connotations of fading into insignificance, thus reflecting the meaning of sedation.

Apart from adding meaning to the words I feel playing with size and composition has resulted in something that looks alot more visually interesting than before. But I have tried to stop it from looking messy or being illegible. I grouped words of the same line together and arranged them so that they sit aligned or create a recognizable block of type.

Overall I feel this is a step in the right direction and has given this quote alot more energy. Further development is needed though.


I also played with a change of typeface. Bookman Oldstyle. The reason for this is the difference between regular and bold. I think bookman in regular has the appearance of a classic serif typeface like Minion Pro whereas as Bookman in bold has the appearance of a hard solid typeface like Rockwell. Regular is useful for words that are associated with grace and delicacy like 'serene' whereas Bold is useful for more aggressive powerful words like 'strong' and 'violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment