Monday 10 October 2011

Experimenting with Typeface and Fonts

I found Minion Pro to be a good candidate for this piece. It has a nice range of weights which I can use to change the meaning of each word. It also appears more graceful which reflects words like serene, majestic and sedate.

I also chose to experiment with colour in order to convey messages. I set 'serene' and 'sedate' in a washed out grey in order to make them appear more passive. Whereas words like 'violence' and 'terror' are aggressive powerful words that I thought would be best suited to red which has connotations of danger and fear.

'Swift' was set in italics which suggests motion or speed. I also set 'majestic' in italic except in medium italic. To me the word majestic does suggest ideas of grace and flow but it also suggests ideas of status and importance. I'm not sure if 'swift' and 'majestic' both being in italics means their messages are muddled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment